The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (Translated by Carol Brown Janeway), Part 1




For this first posting on The Reader by Bernhard Schlink, I just want to include some quotes from the book. In a second, later posting, I'll give my review of the book. In a third posting, I want to talk about what thoughts and questions this book created for me.


In case you haven't guessed already, I love The Reader.


"As the days went on, I discovered that I couldn't stop thinking sinful thoughts.
In which case I also wanted the sin itself." (p.19)


"Did I fall in love with her as the price for her having gone to bed with me?" (p.27)


"Sometimes I had the feeling that all of us in his family were like pets to him." (p.30)


"Why? Why does what was beautiful suddenly shatter in hindsight because
it concealed dark truths?" (p.37)


"Because she always had to dissimulate somewhat, and could never be completely candid, it was a pitiful truth and a pitiful justice, but it was hers, and the struggle for it was her struggle." (p.134)


"But she looked straight ahead and through everything. A proud, wounded, lost, and infinitely tired look. A look that wished to see nothing and no one." (p.163)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!