How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

My all-time favorite children's book about Christmas remains How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss, even from before learning about the original political subtext of the book about getting store owners to close their shops on Christmas Day while reading more about him during the sesquicentennial celebration of his birth in 2004.

Okay, honestly, I just love the Grinch in all of his Grinchiness, political subtext or not.

I enjoy watching the animated cartoon every holiday season, too, especially due to Boris Karloff's voice contributions. I've yet to take the plunge into watching the Jim Carrey movie, since I'm not a fan of his. Maybe this is the year to try the movie since my daughter might enjoy watching that with me.

One of my favorite books that I owned as a child was I Wish that I had Duck Feet by Dr. Seuss. Surprisingly enough, since my parents were teachers, I didn't actually own very many books as a child. Buying books came later in life, though I spent a great deal of time as a child at the public library, especially when my older sister had a part-time, after-school job working there.

Dr. Seuss continued as a theme in my life over the past summer when my foster daughter, who has some struggles with reading and learning, actually wanted to read his books aloud to my daughter and me. When she left our home, several of his books went with her. I can only hope she's continuing to read them now.

Overall, Dr. Seuss books remain fun and catchy all of these years after he originally wrote them, and they continue to sell phenomenally well.

He definitely deserves his lasting fame for bringing the early joy of reading to so many young people, but I do have to chuckle that Theodor Seuss Geisel, as he was born, once said that he found kids overwhelming in large groups, which has since been translated into not liking children . . . . Always some controversy or gossip, even about a children's book author!

Overall, I give Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas an A and a nostalgic sniff.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Little Pleasures

Happy Birthday to ME!